Scrapstores In The UK
Image Credit: Jay Wennington
A scrapstore is an organisation which collects and saves items that would otherwise be thrown away so that they can be used for art and craft projects, usually with children but adults can join in the fun too.
It is a sort of reuse craft store that is a fantastic way to reuse materials which would otherwise be thrown away, while giving children and adults lots of materials to get creative with.
A scrap store can provide affordable materials that can be supplied to schools, playgroups, holiday clubs, special needs groups and other community organisations.
Some scrapstores even organise their own art activity sessions in school holidays and weekends. Others sell items to the general public online or in local shops to raise money to fund their activities.
Can I Donate To A Scrapstore?
Some scrapstores will only accept donations from local businesses while some will accept donations from the general public.
If you wish to donate materials to your local scrapstore it is always best to contact the organisation in advance to check what types of material they will accept.
Scrapstores in the UK
The items will change on a regular basis depending on recent donations. So no material is guaranteed, but that is the fun of it - see what they have and let yourself be inspired.
- Scrapstores in England
- Scrapstores in Scotland
- Scrapstores in Wales
- Scrapstores in Northern Ireland
Scrapstores in England
- Wiltshire Scrapstore and Resource Centre ia a Wiltshire based Scrapstore which has a Craft Shop, Library, SmArtcuts service, Training and Workshops, organises events for children and adults and offers an outreach service.
- Children's Scrapstore Based in Bristol, Children's Scrapstore collects waste from local businesses and offer it to playworkers and teachers to take back to their groups. Through their shop Artrageous art and crafts, anyone can buy art materials and the proceeds support the Scrapstore.
- Swindon Scrapstore can use almost anything for arts and crafts with children. They also accept donations of clothes that are in good condition and office furniture. They run art and craft workshops for children and can ever organise an arty party!
- Milton Keynes Play Association accepts donations of fur, foam, felt, fabrics, card, plastics, productions cut-offs, clearance lines and discarded stock for use by playgroups, schools, nurseries, after school clubs, scouts & guides, church groups and children’s centres.
- Derby Play and Recycling Centre is a charity that recycles companies waste products into useable creative materials for use in scout groups, schools, commercial artists, and individuals..
- Dorset Scrapstore is based in Puddletown, Dorchester with a branch recently opened in Bournmouth. They collect materials for use by local schools, groups and families. They run workshops during the year for children and adults as well.
- Gloucestershire Resource Centre is a charity which collects non-toxic waste from businesses (cards, paper, fabrics, felt, foam, plastic, wood etc.) to use as art and craft materials in schools, community groups or for individual members to use.
- Southampton Scrapstore is open to every one to become a member, and has a wide range of scrap materials including paper, card, fabric, carpet, haberdashery plastics and packaging materials.
- Exeter Scrapstore is open to all, but members get discounted materials. They have all sorts of sewing and craft materials, cardboard, plastic and more.
- Crow Recycling in Coventry have mainly arts and crafts materials including fabric, jewellery making supplies, paper, paint, pencils and art and craft books.
- The Scrap Shop in Leeds is a mill shop filled with arts and craft materials. They have a programme of workshops and training and membership is free. They also have an online shop, with larger items being for collection only.
- Work and Play Scrapstore in Wandsworth London have paper and paint, textiles and trimmings, buttons and bubble wrap, wood, foam and wire.
- The RagTag Scrapstore is based in Kendal, Cumbria. Fill a basket or a trolley for a fixed price. They also run children's parties, arts and craft parties for adults and run workshops in local schools.
Scrapstores in Wales
- Re-Create in Cardiff have a huge selection of materials available for reuse including fabric, paper, plastics, videos, cds, foam, netting, tiles and old bicycle tyres!
Scrapstores in Scotland
- RePlay is part of Glasgow Play-Resource Association and offer plastic, paper, fabric, carpet, paper, foam and stationary. It's the biggest scrapstore in Scotland and they run outreach craft workshops as well.
- Borders Scrapstore have branches in Selkirk and Musselburgh both of which include an additional needs toy library.
- Scrap Antics is based in Dundee and have everything from wood and hand tools to paper, fabric, yarn, card and stationery. They also run a programme of community art events.
Scrapstores in Northern Ireland
- Play Resource Warehouse is a County Antrim based charity which collects non-toxic waste from businesses to use as art and craft materials by children and young people.
Reuseful maintain an extensive directory of all the scrapstores in the UK.